Reasons Homeowners Choose Gas Log Sets
There’s the age-old debate about which style of fireplace – gas or wood – is best. Depending on your tastes and lifestyle, either could be a good choice when thinking about adding a fireplace to your home. In this article, we’re going to talk about the advantages of using gas logs in a fireplace.
- One of the most common reasons people choose gas over wood is convenience and ease of operation. With a gas fireplace, the flip of a switch ignites the fire, which burns through intricately designed gas logs. With a wood-burning fireplace, one must first acquire the wood, wait for it to dry, haul logs into the house and spend a lot of time cleaning ashes and wood chips out of the firebox. This is too much hassle for some people.
- Gas logs are more environmentally friendly than wood logs. Gas fireplaces typically run on natural gas or propane. These substances, when burned, emit less potentially harmful toxins into the air compared to burning wood.
- Modern gas log sets are specifically designed to look like real wood logs. You can buy gas logs in many styles that resemble cut wood from a variety of tree types, and they even have the appearance of bark, axe marks, knots and more.
- Gas fireplaces are very economical. This is particularly true if you modify a standard open fireplace with an efficient fireplace insert, which keeps more heat in the firebox and allows more warmth to enter the room.
- You control the amount of heat you want by setting the flame level. This is a hard job to do with wood logs, but with gas logs, it’s not the logs themselves that are actually burning but rather the combustion of the fuel. Plus the logs retain heat, adding the element of radiant heat.
- Fireplaces can increase the value of a home. Home buyers appreciate seeing a room with a handsome fireplace. Estimates indicate that up to 90 percent of the cost of installing a gas fireplace is recouped when the home is sold. For today’s modern, busy home-shopper, a gas fireplace is often a coveted amenity, because many people don’t have the time to run and maintain a wood-burning fireplace.
There are many reasons to consider having a fireplace installed in the home. Beauty, warmth, utility bill savings are among the most popular reasons, and both gas and wood fireplaces will give you all of this. But only a gas fireplace will be ultra-convenient, making it easy to start and control fires, while saving you time, hassle and money.
Have you been considering the benefits that gas logs can bring to your home? Are you interested in the wide variety of log set styles and gas fireplace styles available today? Marsh’s Stoves & Fireplaces of Toronto has what you’re looking for along with expert advice on enjoying your new fireplace and operating it safely. Our showroom is located at 3322 Dundas Street West. If you have questions about gas-burning fireplaces or any other hearth-related product, call us at (416) 762-4582.